Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No ADK for current Win 10 version

No ADK for current Win 10 version

Am wanting to create bootable rescue media. Following link from Paragon Backup and Recovery (Recovery Media Builder tab) to the MS ADK download page, it lists two Windows 10 versions of ADK: one for version 1511, and one for version 1607. However, my current Windows 10 version is 1608.

Is one to assume that the latest ADK version applies to the latest Windows 10 version - regardless?

Monk

Re: No ADK for current Win 10 version

Interesting! I would assume that you'd use the 1607 version. I'm trying to install the 1511 version right now(forgot how slow that download is). I wonder if Paragon will like the new version so I'm going to install it on another USB flash drive first just in case it rejects it.

Just tried it with no problems except the new ADK is created in a new folder(W10), the old location is/was for me in the W8.1 folder so the new path must be set. It did boot up too.
    Last edited by wptski; 14.09.16 at 15:19.

AW: No ADK for current Win 10 version

The ADK has nothing to do with the installed OS. You should be able to successfully install the Win10 ADK on Win 7. But the resulting Windows PE will be Win 10. The only question will be: Does the Paragon program run on Win 10? Or on a certain version of Win 10? You can put anything on WinPE. The thing you need is a .wim file - kind of raw ISO with WinPE already in it, no matter if winre.wim or winpe.wim or whatsoever. You mount this one with ADK tools and put your stuff to the appropriate place. Then unmount it and create an ISO. That's all. No magic.

The .wim file comes with ADK or WAIK (older: Win XP/Vista/7) or is even available in the repair environment of Win 7 ++ to boot into with F8 or similar keys ("Repair Windows"). In the latter case it will always fit to the installed OS of course.

Re: AW: No ADK for current Win 10 version

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    The ADK has nothing to do with the installed OS.
    Look here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-u...deployment-kit

Thanks, Wptski.

Interesting that, after this Tuesday's Windows Update, my OS is now IDed as 1609. As you,I went ahead and installed the ADK version designated for build 1607 and it work fine. Thanks again.

@ banshee: particularly with respect to Win 8, 8.1 and, especially, Win 10 build 1511 (where exiting ADK versions corrupted Win 10 1511 installations), MS is very specific in designating what ADK version to use - which is why I posted my query. You can read the MS announcement about build 1511 conflicts here.

Monk

Quote Originally Posted by HMonk View Post
    Thanks, Wptski.

Interesting that, after this Tuesday's Windows Update, my OS is now IDed as 1609. As you,I went ahead and installed the ADK version designated for build 1607 and it work fine. Thanks again.

@ banshee: particularly with respect to Win 8, 8.1 and, especially, Win 10 build 1511 (where exiting ADK versions corrupted Win 10 1511 installations), MS is very specific in designating what ADK version to use - which is why I posted my query. You can read the MS announcement about build 1511 conflicts here.

Monk
    Interesting link and I didn't even know that there was a W10 ADK version. That link is a bit off as I think the September 2016 WUP brought build 1511 to 10.1.10586.0.

AW: No ADK for current Win 10 version

Sorry for meddling into your conversation. I see you are much deeper in that topic than me. Just judged from my experience with creating a WinPE for private purposes every now and then. Last time I installed an ADK was in very early Win 10 days and that was on Win 7. Worked fine. Thank you for your links.

Quote Originally Posted by banshee View Post
    Sorry for meddling into your conversation. I see you are much deeper in that topic than me. Just judged from my experience with creating a WinPE for private purposes every now and then. Last time I installed an ADK was in very early Win 10 days and that was on Win 7. Worked fine. Thank you for your links.
    No problem! You were probably using the 8.1 version as I was up to this point also?

Hey Banshee, no apologies necessary. There are tidbits to be garnered from all of our posts. I appreciate your input.

Monk

Quote Originally Posted by wptski View Post
    Interesting link and I didn't even know that there was a W10 ADK version. That link is a bit off as I think the September 2016 WUP brought build 1511 to 10.1.10586.0.
    My September 13 update shows (on the DT): Windows 10 Pro, Build 14393.rs_1_inmarket.16096-1818.
    But, at SETTINGS>SYSTEM>ABOUT it reads: Windows 10 Pro, Version 1607, Build 14393.187.

At this point it is for me, academic, but I wonder if 16096-1818 indicates a 1607 interim update (rather than a version upgrade). Regardless, I created the WinPE boot disc using the 1607 link and all runs as expected.

It's been fun.

Monk