Thread: Disk Wiper 15 for Mac Free - power lost during ATA Secure Erase - drive bricked

Question Disk Wiper 15 for Mac Free - power lost during ATA Secure Erase - drive bricked

I have one of the iMacs which is just about hermetically sealed, which someone was sanitizing with Disk Wiper 15 for Mac® OS X Free. They were doing the SSD Wipe (though the drive isn't an SSD) when they lost bench power, and now the drive is bricked because ATA Security is set to locked. I've searched around the net, and found instructions for how to manually recover from this, but they all require knowledge of the drive password. I've found reference to ways around that as well, but only in the context of people saying they won't explain how to do this because as far as they know I'm a thief trying to bypass security on a drive I stole.

Well, even if I was a thief (I am not) and even if I was trying to steal data (I am not) such information would not help me do so because THE DRIVE WAS ALREADY BEING WIPED. The most I could do is possibly read some data that hadn't yet been wiped, but with no partition or directory information of any kind I would still gain nothing.

So, can you tell me the temporary password Disk Wiper 15 for Mac® OS X Free would have used during an ATA Secure Erase so I can reactivate the drive? Or, failing that, can you suggest another method to revive this drive? Note: I wouldn't take the data if someone recovered it and offered it to me. I just want to un-brick the drive so I can re-assign the machine.

Re: Disk Wiper 15 for Mac Free - power lost during ATA Secure Erase - drive bricked

I suspect that the main culprit of lock disk - power lost, but not Disk Wiper.
    Once in a similar case, I was able to unlock the drive by empty password, I was lucky.
    In general situations, it may be necessary hardware-software system to unlock the drive.
    "Temporary", "general", "universal", "secret" etc password - can be regarded as a myth or ancient times, it don't exist, IMHO.