Thread: Is there a kind of try & decide function in Hard Disk Manager 2015?

Is there a kind of try & decide function in Hard Disk Manager 2015?

Hello,

I am not sure if I posted this thread in the correct sub-forum. If not please let me know where my question does belong.

In the past I have been using Acronis True Image but the most recent version is a big disapointment and for what I have seen from the 2007 trial version this version is of equal poor quality. But what I like about true Image is the Try & Decide functionality. It is supposed to record changes from a certain point in time and after you have done what you needed to test you can decide to restore back to the point in time where you started the tool or implement the changes. This is great for testing software or situations where there is some kind of risc.

Is there something similar in Paragon Hard Disk Manager 2015?

Many thanks for the help.

Kindest regards,
    Rob

Re: Is there a kind of try & decide function in Hard Disk Manager 2015?

Hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Rob
    No.

Hello Fireworker,

Thanks for the reply.

I was reading furter and saw this: "If you need a virtual clone of your Windows system, the P2V Adjust OS Wizard helps you adapt it to conventional hypervisors (such as VMware Workstation, Oracle Virtual Box or MS Hyper-V). So if you want to test out new software, you’ll have a virtual testing system just at your fingertips." (it is mentioned here: https://paragon-software.com/home/hdm-professional/)

I have no experience with P2V, Vmware, etc. but is this feature useful to make an exact copy of the system, test the software in this temporary and virtual environment and if things go well discard it and then implement what I have been doing in the actual software?

Or perhaps do you know software that can do this try & decide feature? In that case I can try Hard Disc Manager 2015 and other software to do what I need to do.

Thanks,
    Rob

I think that you don't need the Paragon HDM. Even the virtual machine - this is not what you need. Chances are you need anything program like a "sandbox"-type or "rollback"-type. I think you better ask this question at some thematic, more crowded forum eg wilderssecurity.com/forums/sandboxing-virtualization.98

Paragon Protect and Restore has a feature that I think you are looking for. When you run a manual backup it gives you the option of choosing the type of backup or letting paragon decide. If there isn't a complete backup that fits your policy excludes and includes, it makes one. If there is already a full backup it makes incremental/differential.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Hello,

I am not sure if I posted this thread in the correct sub-forum. If not please let me know where my question does belong.

In the past I have been using Acronis True Image but the most recent version is a big disapointment and for what I have seen from the 2007 trial version this version is of equal poor quality. But what I like about true Image is the Try & Decide functionality. It is supposed to record changes from a certain point in time and after you have done what you needed to test you can decide to restore back to the point in time where you started the tool or implement the changes. This is great for testing software or situations where there is some kind of risc.

Many thanks for the help.

Kindest regards,
    Rob
    Hi Rob,
    technically you are looking for a incremental backup chain and Hard Disk Manager 15 is of course providing this backup technique.
    You can create an initial full backup and then perform an incremental backup prior to each system/software change. This each increment is then kind of a snapshot of your PC for a particular point in time.

Alternatively you can virtualize your live system and boot it with an hypervisor like VMware or Virtual Box. Hard Disk Manager 15 provides a bunch of tools to do so. A virtual clone of your system can then be used as a sandbox but I think this is not what you were looking for.

Best
    Paragon Marketing Team