Thread: Paragon15 Premium - Sectors getting mixed up

Paragon15 Premium - Sectors getting mixed up

Hello Everyone,

What I am working with:

I am using a System hosting Windows and Linux. I have about 6 Partitions on my hard drive. Either system can be chosen at boot up with GRUB.

The Issue:

I create my BackUp copying Sector by Sector, anything else wont work. This is fine.

However, after the Restore and the initial BOOT GRUB is failing messaging literally that it "has failed".

Surely, the Software tells me to Reinit the bootloader if I am using Linux.

When I boot up a Live Linux CD to check the Sectors via "sfdisk"
    I see that they are not in order and I have to sort them. After sorting them, the System works perfectly.

My question now is. Why is it that the sectors wont remain in their order even though I said to copy Sector by Sector?

Any advice Welcome!

Re: Paragon15 Premium - Sectors getting mixed up

Dear SteffThiesen,

1. If you have "Paragon15 Premium" (supposedly Paragon Hard Disk Manager 15 Premium) you have premium support as well - short response time and this kind of stuff. Why don't you make use of that? This is an user-2-user discussion board and just every now and then taken care by us.

2. HDM is Windows software designed to run on and support Windows. No support for the Linux OS, just for several Linux FSes.

3. These file systems can be backed up without using the sector by sector option. Why "anything else wont work"?

4. After a restore of an (WINDOWS!) operating system the software scans the system for Windows installations and creates a new MBR and BCD including any Windows OS found. This overwrites the first 512 bytes of the MBR and thus destroys the GRUB's MBR. This makes it necessary to reinit the bootloader.

5. The MBR can be saved and restored separately with dd or with the sector editor of the HDM. While the GRUB's MBR is much larger than 512 bytes it is recommended to save any sectors before the start sector of the first partition: usually 63 (0x3F - old XP alignment) or 2048 (0x800 - Win 7 and newer).

This is not valid for pure Linux systems saved and restored from one of the rescue media. No Windows found, no further action ...
    Last edited by Deutsches Paragon-Support-Team; 18.05.16 at 10:30. Reason: typos
    Paragon Support Team

Paragon Technologie GmbH, Systemprogrammierung

Geschäftsführer: Konstantin Komarov
    Handelsregister: Registergericht Freiburg/Breisgau HRB 300575
    Sitz der Gesellschaft: Freiburg, MwSt.-Nr.: DE-193384581