Thread: SSD partitioned with PPMCE17 Never Again Recognized by a Linux Machine

Angry SSD partitioned with PPMCE17 Never Again Recognized by a Linux Machine

Hi!
    This may be a very specific issue found with PARAGON Partition Manager Community Edition 17.
    Here's the story:
    I upgraded my Windows 11 laptop's SSD from 1TB to 2TB, then I took the 1TB SSD and installed it into a USB-C case (Orico's TCM2-C3) and plugged it into my Debian 12 machine to copy some files from it. I was able to copy about 512GB of data, smoothly and successfully.
    I then plugged it (again, via USB-C) to my Windows Laptop intending to free-up all partitions id had and create a new one that used the whole disk. I used PPMCE 17 to do it, and then formatted it as ETX4 using the same tool.
    BUT after that, when I plug the external SSD onto the Linux machine, it goes nuts: sometimes it says it can't read the disk's superblock, sometimes it doesn't even recognize the USB port altogether, and always fails to mount the disk.
    I tried to format it back to NTFS, plugged back to the Windows machine and Windows recognizes it and enables me to copy to/from it with no issues.
    BUT when I connect it to Linux all the same problems happen!
    I have other SSDs that I removed from another computer and installed on the same case just to make sure it's not a case interface issue, and had no problems doing it.
    I also partitioned and formatted another SSD using PPMCE 17 and the same issue manifested after that.
    Any ideas on what might be going on?
    Thanks,
    Grohlfer

Re: SSD partitioned with PPMCE17 Never Again Recognized by a Linux Machine

there may be incompatible Ext4 versions? Why you don't partitioning the SSD in Debian using for example GParted?

Maybe because the SSD isn't recognized by Debian, as I said in the message...

Quote Originally Posted by Grohlfer View Post
    Maybe because the SSD isn't recognized by Debian, as I said in the message...
    You said in the message that the SSD isn't recognized by Debian... after it is formatted by PPMCE 17
    And before that, it is recognized normally, even data are copied smoothly and successfully.
    So, you can remove everything from the SSD without using PPMCE (with diskmgmt.msc or cmd diskpart or some third party manager or SSD manufacturer specific tools) and then connect it to Debian.
    Paragon is not capable of damaging the disk hardware