Thread: Files whose names contain non-standard characters sometimes cannot be accessed

Files whose names contain non-standard characters sometimes cannot be accessed

Hi all!

So I've mounted a backup I made of a friend's Mac, and I see a listing of all the files on it. This is using APFS for Windows.

However, some files whose filenames contain non-standard characters - tho' visible in a directory listing - are not able to be opened - in fact, appear non-existent when I try to open them.

An example of one (from a file-copy utility I used, though this appears when I try to access this file in ANY way):

6/30/2023 10:51:09 Unable to copy F:\Macintosh HD\Users\user1\Library\Containers\com.microsoft.Ex cel\Data\Library\Application Support\Microsoft\FontPreviewCache\en-US\Abadi????1.png: The system cannot find the file specified

When I paste that in here, the "Excel" appears as that, but when saved, it appears with a space in it. And the "????" characters are rendered as an emoji (tho' appear to be converted into ???? when saved here). I'm not sure why the display in this forum changes between pasting and saving.

In any case, even Windows apps that turn the emoji into a string of explicit numerical entities can't access the file (they see it as not existing).

Does anyone know how to get around this issue? Is this an error by APFS for Windows, or Windows not being able to deal with some Mac file names?

- Tim
    Last edited by tbessie; 30.06.23 at 20:18.