Hey All,

This morning I could not log in to the PPR Console machine, I got the "Failed to connect to localhost. Please make sure the PRM service is running on the remote computer, or try again later" message. I verified the PRM service was running.

This has been running well for several months. I am using AD integrated security so I know my password is correct. I also verified account membership in the PPR domain groups.

The last time I logged in the backups were running as scheduled, but because I cannot log in now, the only thing I could do was to look in the Paragon Storage Pool location to see if backups ran last night based on timestamp, I think they did.

This is a Server 2016 environment. We did patch recently. This is a fairly secure environment and I am wondering if a recent patch hosed me, but I can't find a smoking gun in the event log.

I mention the patching and secure environment because I am wondering what authentication method PPR is using, ie NTLM, NTLMv2, Kerberos, etc. I know from past experience some of our cyber security settings (DISA STIGS) caused issues in the past (using FIPS 199 compliant algorithms for example). I did see an event log entry (LsaSrv Event ID 6038) regarding "NTLM authentication is presently being used between clients and this server." This caught me by surprise a little and Kerberos is the default for Server 2016 and all my servers are 2016. Anyway, I am guessing a patch may have been the culprit but I may be barking up the wrong tree.

At any rate, where do I begin to look to figure this out?